Tania Cerquitelli has been an Associate Professor at the Department of Control and Computer Engineering of the Politecnico di Torino, Italy, since March 2018. Her research activities have been mainly devoted to fostering and sharing research and innovation on data science and machine learning. Tania has designed and developed novel, scalable and general-purpose algorithms to extract new forms of knowledge patterns in different application domains, from Industry 4.0 to energy-related applications. Tania is very active in the research community since she has been a proceeding chair for ACM CIKM 2018, a co-chair of the workshop track for ADBIS 2018 and has organized a variety of international workshops in the last few years [2015-2020] in conjunction with different international conferences. Tania is the co-editor of a Springer book titled “Transparent Data Mining for Big and Small Data” with Dr. Daniele Quercia and Prof. Frank Pasquale. Tania has published more than 120 scientific publications including 35 journal articles published in IEEE journals (IEEE TKDE, IEEE TITB, IEEE TSNM, IEEE Access), ACM journals (ACM TIST), Springer journals (Knowledge and Information Systems), Elsevier journals (Information sciences, Expert System With Applications, Big Data Research, Computer networks, Journal of Systems and Software), MDPI (Energies, Electronics, Applied Sciences), Wiley & Sons (International Journal of Intelligent Systems). Tania has served as a referee for many international journals. Tania has been involved in many European and Italian research projects addressing different research issues related to machine learning and data analytics. Tania has been the professor of courses in Introduction to Databases and Business Intelligence for Big Data courses at the Politecnico di Torino since 2011. She got a master degree with honours in Computer Engineering (in 2003) and the PhD degree (in 2007) from the Politecnico di Torino, Italy, and the master degree with honours in Computer Science (in 2003) from the Universidad De Las Américas Puebla, Mexico.
- 2011/04/15 — 2011/09/14 (Daughter: Francesca) Maternity Leave – 5 Months
- 2013/05/29 – 2013/11/02 (Daughter: Vittoria) Maternity Leave – 5 Months
- 2017/08/24 – 2018/01/24 (Son: Lorenzo) Maternity Leave – 5 Months
I have been involved in many research projects addressing different topics:
- Industry 4.0
- energy efficiency,
- network traffic analysis,
- Internet platform
- in the data mining research area.
- [01/01/2018-31/12/2020]. EnABLES funded by the European Community under Horizon 2020, Call H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017, Grant Agreement number 730957
- [01/10/2017-30/09/2020] SERENA (VerSatilE plug-and-play platform enabling REmote predictive maintenance) funded by the European Community under H2020-IND-CE-2016-17 program, FOF-09-2017, Grant agreement no. 767561
- [10/1/2016–03/30/2019] DISLOMAN (Dynamic Integrated ShopfLoor Operation MANagement for Industry 4.0) a Piedmont Region funding under the FESR 2014/2020.
- [09/01/2014–07/31/2015] EDEN (Energy Data ENgagement): a Piedmont Region funding under the POR FESR 2007/2013 n. 281-79 (EDEN Project).
- Accenture SpA. The research activities addressed the “Quality assessment in the context of Big Data and analytics techniques”, over a time span of 6 months starting on August 1st, 2019
- Research agreement with EDISON S.p.A. The research activities addressed the “City building mapping: using open data to characterize the energy efficiency of buildings”, over a time span of 12 months starting on June 1st, 2018.
- Fondazione Centro Studi ENEL (Enel Foundation). The research study addresses the “Classification of Residential consumers based on hourly-metered data” and it runs for 6 months starting on May 29th, 2017.
- AMADA Engineering Europe S.r.l. The research study addresses the “Study of state-of-the-art methods and tools for similarity search of CAD objects” and it runs for 4 months starting on June 1st, 2017.
- ZIRAK S.r.l. The research activities address the “Design and development of data storage and analytics architecture to efficiently process RED-Tag data”, over a time span of 8 months starting on February 1st, 2018.
- T&T Elettronica S.r.l. The research activities address the “Ad-hoc strategies to automatically position the Red-tags on packages”, over a time span of 3,5 months starting on September 1st, 2018.
A list of publications can be found here.
A restricted list of database-related publications is available at the DBLP Bibliography Server.
2 conference Best Paper
- Apiletti, D. Barberis, C. Cerquitelli, T. Macii, A. Macii, E. Poncino, M. Ventura, F. (2018) iSTEP, an Integrated Self-Tuning Engine for Predictive Maintenance in Industry 4.0. ISPA/IUCC/BDCloud/SocialCom/SustainCom 2018: 924-931
- Cerquitelli, T. Chicco, G. Di Corso, E. Ventura, F. Montesano, G. Armiento, M. Mateo González, A. Veiga Santiago, A. (2018) Clustering-Based Assessment of Residential Consumers from Hourly-Metered Data In International Conference on Smart Energy System and Technologies – SEST 2018 Sevilla, Spain 12,
1 Best Student Paper Award
- Pinto, V. Perotti, A. Cerquitelli, T. (2019). Modeling Urban Traffic Data Through Graph-Based Neural Networks. INNSBDDL 2019: 216-225
Main teaching offices (formal responsibility)
Since academic year 2011-2012, when she was Assistant Professor at the
Department of Computer and Control Engineering of Politecnico di Torino, Tania
Cerquitelli has been the professor (with formal responsibility) in a large
number of courses at Politecnico di Torino, including:
- 3 course in the PhD program,
- 10+ courses in the 2nd level specializing Master Program,
- 10+ courses in the Master of Science, [e.g., “Business Intelligence for Big Data” (in the Management Engineering master degree) [course website AA. 2018/2019]]
- 10+ courses in the Bachelor. [e.g., “Databases” (in the Computer Engineering bachelor degree) [course website AA. 2018/2019]
All courses taught by Tania belongs to the Computer Science area, they are
mainly related to
- Database Management Systems,
- Data Warehousing,
- Data Mining,
- Data science,
- Business Intelligence to support decision making.
Tania has also taught, jointly with other professors, 3 courses in the PhD program from academic year 2013-2014 to 2015-2016.
Other teaching offices
In academic year 2014-2015, Tania was a Mentor for Talented Students, selected within the “Young Talent Project”, which was organized and sponsored by Fondazione CRT and Politecnico di Torino.
Furthermore, Tania was a professor at
- the “Building tomorrow society: IoT applications and data management” summer school for foreign professors, in Torino, Italy, [Editions:
- the “5th Franco-Mexican school on distributed systems”, PhD school taken in Ensenada, Baja California, on August 7th-11th, 2006.
EDITORSHIP (Springer Book)
EDITORSHIP (Proceeding volume)
- András Benczúr, Bernhard Thalheim, Tomás Horváth, Silvia Chiusano, Tania Cerquitelli, Csaba István Sidló, Peter Z. Revesz (Eds): New Trends in Databases and Information Systems – ADBIS 2018 Short Papers and Workshops, AI*QA, BIGPMED, CSACDB, M2U, BigDataMAPS, ISTREND, DC, Budapest, Hungary, September, 2-5, 2018, Proceedings. Communications in Computer and Information Science 909, Springer 2018, ISBN 978-3-030-00062-2
- Mirjana Ivanovic, Bernhard Thalheim, Barbara Catania, Klaus-Dieter Schewe, Marite Kirikova, Petr Saloun, Ajantha Dahanayake, Tania Cerquitelli, Elena Baralis, Pietro Michiardi: New Trends in Databases and Information Systems – ADBIS 2016 Short Papers and Workshops, BigDap, DCSA, DC, Prague, Czech Republic, August 28-31, 2016, Proceedings. Communications in Computer and Information Science 637, Springer 2016, ISBN 978-3-319-44065-1
- Barbara Catania, Tania Cerquitelli, Silvia Chiusano, Giovanna Guerrini, Mirko Kämpf, Alfons Kemper, Boris Novikov, Themis Palpanas, Jaroslav Pokorný, Athena Vakali: New Trends in Databases and Information Systems, 17th East European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems, ADBIS 2013, Genoa, Italy, September 1-4, 2013. Proceedings II. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 241, Springer 2014, ISBN 978-3-319-01862-1
ORGANISATIONS OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
- Chair for the “4th International workshop on Data Analytics solutions for Real-LIfe APplications”, organized within EDBT/ICDT 2020 Joint Conference. March 30th, 2020 Copenhagen, Denmark (2020)”. (Website: http://dbdmg.polito.it/darli-ap2020/)
- Chair for the “3rd International workshop on Data Analytics solutions for Real-LIfe APplications”, organized within EDBT/ICDT 2019 Joint Conference. March 26th, 2019. Lisbon, Portugal (2019)”. (Website: http://dbdmg.polito.it/darli-ap2019/)
- Chair for the “2nd International workshop on Data Analytics solutions for Real-LIfe APplications”, organized within EDBT/ICDT 2018 Joint Conference. March 26th, 2018. Vienna, Austria (2018)”. (Website: http://dbdmg.polito.it/darli-ap2018/)
- Chair for the “1st International workshop on Data Analytics solutions for Real-LIfe APplications”, organized within “The 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Data”. June 21-23, 2017. Exeter, England, UK (2017)”. (Website: http://dbdmg.polito.it/darli-ap2017/)
- Chair for the “1st International Workshop on Data Science: Methodologies and Use-Cases”, organized within “The 21th European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems” September 24-27, 2017, Nicosia, Cyprus”. (Website: http://dbdmg.polito.it/das2017/)
- Co-chair for “3rd International Workshop on Big Data Applications and Principles”, in the 20th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems.Prague, Czech Republic (2016).
- Co-chair for “2nd International Workshop on Big Data Applications and Principles”, in the 19th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems. Futuroscope, Poitiers, France (2015).
- Co-Chair for “Special session on Big Data: New Trends and Applications”, in the 17th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems. Genoa, Italy (2013).
- Co-Chair for “Data management and exploitation track” in the IEEE Mexican International Conference on Computer Science. Mèxico City, Mèxico (2009)