Name: Dr. Silvia Chiusano
Title: Associate professor
University: Politecnico di Torino
Office Location: Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24 – 10129, Torino, Italy
Office Phone: +39 011 090 7176
Silvia Chiusano is Associate Professor at the Department of Control and Computer Engineering of the Politecnico di Torino since November 2014. She holds a laurea degree in Computer Engineering and a PhD in Computer Engineering, both from Politecnico di Torino.
Silvia research interests include the design of innovative approaches to perform large-scale analytics, and novel and efficient data mining techniques to mine heterogeneous data collections. More specifically
- Novel and efficient data mining algorithms. Scalable algorithms for association rule extraction and cluster analysis; Disk-based data mining algorithms; New associative classifiers using compact rule set representations.
- Medical data analytics. Analysis of electronic medical records storing the medical history of patients; Novel approaches to efficiently analyze physiological patient data to both characterize and predict patient conditions
- Mining Urban Data. Novel solutions to mine huge collections of heterogeneous data describing the urban domain, focusing on data integration strategies, alternative data representations (i.e., NOSQL databases as MongoBD), devising ad hoc data analytics solutions also deployed with distributed processing technologies (e.g., MapReduce, Spark). Different application scenarios have been considered as urban mobility, air pollution, urban safety, building energy consumption, social networks.
Silvia Chiusano organized a special session on big data analytics (BiDaTA@ADBIS 2013) and a workshop on data science (DaS@ADBIS 2017), both within the East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS). She also organized a workshop on data analytics at the IEEE International Conference on Smart Data (DARLI-AP@SmartData 2017) and is currently organizing a workshop on data analytics at the EDBT/ICDT Joint Conference (DARLI-AP@EDBT/ICDT 2018).
She has been reviewer of papers submitted to International journals, among which Expert Systems With Applications (Elsevier), Big Data Research (Elsevier), Information Sciences (Elsevier), Energy and Buildings (Elsevier), Engineering Science and Technology: an International Journal (Elsevier), Applied Computing and Informatics (Elsevier), IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE Computer Society), IEEE Systems Journal (IEEE Computer Society), Machine Learning (Springer), Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing (Springer).
Silvia has served on the program committees of several international conferences and workshops in the data mining research area, among which European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML-PKDD), Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD), IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), IEEE International Symposium on Big Data Management and Analytics (BIDMA), IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IRI).
Silvia held courses on database systems, database systems technology, data warehousing and data mining in BSc, MSc and PhD degrees at the Politecnico di Torino. In AY 2017/2018 she is tenured professor for the following courses:
- Database management systems, MSc degree in Computer Engineering, Politecnico di Torino
- Database, BSc degree in Computer Engineering, Politecnico di Torino