Table of content
- General information
- Weekly class schedule
- Exercises from written exams
- Other exercises
- Homework to be delivered
- [13-3-2017] 27-2 Exam papers will be discussed today at 3.30pm in room 9B
- [8-3-2017] Results of 27/2 exam are available in Section “Exams”
Weekly class schedule
- Exam rules Academic Year 2016-2017 (pdf)
Exam on February 27th 2017
- Results (pdf)
- Exam papers will be discussed on Monday, March 13, 2017 at 3.30 p.m. (classroom 9B). NO OTHER MEETINGS will be set up for exam discussion.
- All exam grades will be recorded. Students, who received a grade >= 18 in the written exam and want to reject it, have to send an e-mail to Silvia Chiusano (silvia dot chiusano at polito dot it) by Friday March 17, 2017 evening
- Students who want to take the oral part should send an e-mail to Silvia Chiusano (silvia dot chiusano at polito dot it) by Friday March 17, 2017 evening following these rules:
- In the e-mail subject, specify DBMS – oral part
- In the e-mail body,
- Specify StudentId (matricola), Surname and Name
- The orals will be scheduled on Wednesday March 22, 2017 at 5pm (room to be announced)
Database System Technology
- Introduction to DBMS (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Buffer Manager (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Physical access to data (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Query optimization (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Physical design (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Concurrency Control (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Reliability Management (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Triggers (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Distributed databases (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Beyond relational databases (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page) – updated 02-12-2016 at 13:06
- Introduction to Big Data (2 slides per page , 6 slides per page) – updated 02-12-2016 at 13:07
- Oracle Optimizer
- Hints (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Introduction (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Data warehouse design (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Data analysis (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Data mining: Introduction (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Data mining: Pre-processing (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Association rules (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Classification (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Clustering (2 slides per page, 6 slides per page)
- Relational model
- Relational Algebra
- SQL language
Material on prerequisites available at the following links
|Exercise 1 (Fine)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||Draft Solution|
|Exercise 2 (Students, Projects)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||Draft Solution|
|Exercise 3 (Discs)||Text||Draft Solution|
|Exercise 4 (Athletes, Members)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||Draft Solution|
|Exercise 5 (Actors)||Actors||Draft solution|
|Exercise 1 (Athlete ranking, Boat rental)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||DraftSolAthleteRanking, DraftSolBoatRental|
|Exercise 2 (Greenhouse)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||DraftSolutionGreenhouse|
|Exercise 3 (Student grant)||2 slides per page 6 slides per page||DraftSolutionStudentGrant|
|Extended SQL (Customer )||text||DraftSolutionCustomer|
|Extended SQL (Rental )||text||Draft solution|
|Data warehouse design (Italian household)||exercise||Remark: Write all queries from (a) to (f) DraftSolutionItalianHousehold|
|Data warehouse design (SearchingYourHouse)||exercise||DraftSolutioSearchingYourHouse|
Exercises from written exams
|Exam (2012-02-06)||optimizer and dw, trigger|
|Exam (2012-02-28)||optimizer and dw|
|Exam (2012-06-21)||optimizer and dw, trigger|
|Exam (2012-09-07)||optimizer and dw|
|Exam (2011-02-07)||optimizer, trigger, dw|
|Exam (2011-07-08)||optimizer, trigger|
|Exam (2011-09-21)||optimizer, trigger|
Lab 1: The Oracle Optimizer
- Text (pdf)
- Useful scripts
- Description of the execution plan operations
- Practicing at home: instrcution on Oracle 11g XE download, installation, and database import are available at Data Import section of this web page
Lab 2: Triggers
Lab 3:Extended SQL
- Text (pdf)
- Data warehouse tables in csv format (zip)
- FOR STUDENTS WHO WANT TO PRACTICE AT HOME WITH EXTENDED SQL: to import tables from the Oracle XE Web interface select Home>Utilities>Data Load/Unload>Load>Load Text Data->)
- Draft solution of queries 1-5 and materialized view (pdf)
Lab 4: Pentaho: cubes, reports, and dashboard
- Text of Practice 4 DBMS
- Supporting material
- Data warehouse schema (pdf)
- Scripts for configuring Oracle on Pentaho and creating and feeding data warehouse tables (zip). IMPORTANT REMARK: The scripts are needed only for students who want to practice at home. Data warehouse tables are already loaded at LABINF (no script have to be run on LabInf Pentaho Server). To avoid problems with Pentaho Community Edition setup, students are strongly suggested to practice with Pentaho server at LabInf.
Lab 5: Data mining – Rapid Miner
- Text Practice 5
- Rapid Miner is already installed on the LabInf PCs. Please follow the instructions reported in the practice text.
- Some processes may need a memory allocation higher than the default one (1024 MB). If so, you have to allocate a higher Java Heap memory space to Rapid Miner. Under Windows, run the command shell (cmd), go to the Rapid Miner lib folder (by deafult, c:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\lib) and launch Rapid Miner form the shell using the following command: java -Xmx1500m -jar rapidminer.jar where 1500 is the maximum heap memory space expressed in MB.
- Supporting material
- Dataset (Utenti.xls)
- Rapid Miner 5.0 Community Edition Guide (rapidminer-5.0-manual-english_v1.0)
- For students who want to practice with Rapid Miner at home:
- go to http://rapidminer.com/products/rapidminer-studio/
- Register to download the free Community Edition (follow the link at the bottom of the page).
- Install Rapid Miner on your PC
Homework to be delivered
To obtain the points associated with the homeworks, students have to observe the following terms:
- Complete all the points of the exercises in the homework text.
- Prepare one file in PDF, DOC or ODT format with the solution of the homework.
- Name the file as: HomeworkN_Surname_Name_StudentId.XXXwhere
- StudentId, Surname and Name should be substituted with student information
- the N character following Homework should be substituted with the number of the submitted homework
- the filename extension XXX depends on the file type chosen for the submission (PDF, DOC or ODT).
- DOCX format is not supported.
- Since uploaded files are automatically processed, naming the file with a wrong name implies the cancellation of the related homework submission.
- Load the file on the didactic portal (Portale della didattica) in the section Work Submission (Elaborati) before the deadline.
- Multiple loadings for the same student and/or for the same homework are not allowed.
- The upload date show on the didactic portal is considered for the evaluation.
- Since uploaded files are automatically processed, the upload after the deadline implies the cancellation of the related homework submission.
- During the upload procedure a description (“Descrizione”) field is requested. Insert the same name of the file according to the rules described above.
- Only the students without the access to the course page on the didactic portal can submit the homework before the deadline by sending an email to the assistant lecturer.
- Discuss the homework with a positive evaluation on the fixed date (announcement will be published).
Homework discussion: Students attending the written exam must bring the following items:
- for Homeworks #1 – #4:
- a hard-copy of the submitted reports
|Homework||Material||Deadline||Deliveries of Homework|
|Homework #1: Query Optimization||Homework 1 (pdf)||to be delivered by Monday, November 7th, 2016 at 11.59 PM (UTC/GMT+1)||DeliveriesHW#1|
|Homework #2: Triggers||Homework 2 (pdf) Useful scripts.||to be delivered by Monday, November 28rd, 2016 at 11.59 PM (UTC/GMT+1)||DeliveriesHW#2|
|Homework #3: Data warehouse||Homework 3 (pdf)||to be delivered by Friday, December 23, 2016 at 11.59 PM (UTC/GMT+1)||DeliveriesHW#3|
|Homework #4: Data Mining||Homework 4 (pdf) Dataset (breast.xls)||to be delivered by Thursday February 2, 2017 at 11.59 PM (UTC/GMT+1)||DeliveriesHW#4|
Installing Oracle Express Edition
To download and install Oracle Express Edition
To import the database in Oracle on your personal Computer:
- Download the following archive empdb2013.zip
- Extract the database file empdb.dump
- Download the batch file Oracle-DB-import.bat (for Windows) or the shell script Oracle-DB-import.sh (for Linux) and save it in the same directory in which the empdb.dump file is stored
- Modify the batch file or the shell script by replacing the keyword password by the password string defined during the Oracle XE installation and (only for the shell script) check the Oracle directory path
- *NEW* Please check that tables EMP e DEPT are not already present. Otherwise, please remove then with the DROP command (during user creation / workspace Application Express, Oracle automatically creates EMP and DEPT example tables)
- Execute the batch file or the shell script updated with the correct password